Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Not such a Happy Landing- aka Never Use PetSafe


We arrived in Managua around 10:30 pm. The local freight rep who has called us earlier had taken Kaleb to either his home or office, away from the heat of the freight terminal. We agreed to meet up the following morning. I had made reservations to the nearby Best Western, and we'd just relax and wait until the morning. Well, as you probably have guessed by now, nothing is that easy when it comes to our luck.

The hotel rep ushered us through the passport check and helped us with your luggage, which there was plenty of. Next stop, the x-ray line and we were almost done. Well, computers apparently attracted the attention of the customs officers and we were pulled aside. We didn't understand what they were wanting, but the hotel rep tried his best to negotiate. All in all, they didn't want to give us the computers, we'd have to come back the following morning and talk to the actual customs officers on duty.

Next morning, after a nice breakfast in a beautiful setting we were ready to roll. The hotel rep said he would send a friend of his to help us out with the customs. We were to meet him between 8 and 8:30 am. Chuck started doubting if he was to meet us at the hotel or at the airport, so at 8:30 he decided to go to the airport, and I would stay in to see if the dude showed up.



Well, it was 8:45 and he hadn't showed up. So I loaded all my stuff on the hotel shuttle and asked them to take me to the airport. Finally we found Chuck and I had to wait outside the customs office with our luggage. The clock was ticking and we finally tossed all of the luggage inside the customs office and I went out on the hunt for Kaleb.

I had talked to a very nice lady working for United and luckily I found her again. She had called the freight people and they were anxiously waiting for me. Apparently they let Kaleb out of his kennel and now had difficulties putting him back in. He can be a little stubborn, our Kaleb. So, a worker for the airport took me to the cargo office a mile down the road, and I was finally united with my Kaleb!

He was running around the office, and the nice gentleman who had taken care of him so far was very relieved to see me there. He was afraid our little angel would bite him. After a few belly rubs I got him back to the kennel, it did take a gentle push... and we started the paperwork. First I had to go to the local bank to pay some sort of an entry tax, whatever to their account. Ok, there I am, freshly in the country and now I would have to go make a deposit in a bank?!?

Fortunately, a friend of the officer came by and the officer shoved the responsibility of me to him. He was to come with me to the bank and help me out. So, we took a taxi to the bank and he queued for me, and when it was our time, I just paid him and he handled the rest. Then back we went. A few signatures here and there and I was to proceed to the loading dock, where I might have to pay some taxes, but I would finally be able to pick up Kaleb. Once again, they sent someone to take me to the freight pickup.

At the loading dock, these old geezers didn't speak English, they were just basically laughing at me. Finally one of the younger people said it would take about an hour for Kaleb to arrive. The cargo officer told me he would go pick up some luggage from the flight that was coming in, and then he would bring Kaleb back. He didn't sound like it was going to take an hour. Just as I was thinking about going back to the airport to tell Chuck what I was doing, the nice officer came in with Kaleb. And it only took like 15 mins or so.

I thanked him and we said our goodbyes, and then the fun started! I spent the next 3 or so hours (no idea of the time) running from one building to another getting things copied, stamped, paid and whatnot. Finally, one of the customs people (a young guy with good English) came to me and said he was coming with me, because he didn't want to see me there again. I don't know what he said or did, but I finally got Kaleb out of there and off we went to find Chuck. Who didn't get his computers out.

In retrospect: #1 NEVER send your pets with PetSafe!!! Someone local actually told me it wasn't the first time a pet was sent by United before their owners. And you'll save yourself a lot of headache afterwords! #2 There are some people who want to make things more difficult for you, but there are others who are just wonderful. Not everyone in Nicaragua is our to get you.  

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We were planning on using AA first, but their plane wasn't big enough to handle the crate. These days they fly the route with bigger planes. If possible, it would be best to have the dog travel in luggage, rather than freight. In any case, just remember to provide a small bag of dog food, as accidents happen...

      Delete