Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Final Countdown - Part 1

"Where do I begin, to tell a story of how hard a life can be." Or something along those lines (in the tune of the Love Story.) Well, there's got to be a beginning...

I'll start with getting Kaleb ready for the big move down south. In order for him to abide to all the regulations, we had to renew all of his vaccinations 30 days before flying out. We did this maybe 29 days before, and he behaved really well, no need for muzzles or anything. I think he hated the thermometer up his butt more than the actual shots.

Next step after the shots was to get the international health certificate (USDA Form A-7001) if I remember right. That had to be done 14-10 days before the flight. (Time varies by the airline.) We decided to do it 9 days before. We had to make this exta trip, because our vet wouldn't just do it there and then, and just date it 9 days before the flight. Go figure!

Well, we arrived for the health check-up 9 days before the flight. All went well, even tho Kaleb was even less excited to go to the vet once again, in such a short period. The chek-up didn't take long, and when we were ready to walk out with the cert, one of the assistants said she was going to look into it a bit more, and make sure everything was done by the book. So, come back the following day.

My plan was to swing by the place and be off my merry way. Well, as we came to know, no plans ever go the way they're supposed to. They had called the Federal office, and had found out that Kaleb would need to get his worming medication in front of the doctor. It made no difference that we had done all this 2 weeks before, had to be done again! So, off we go, Kaleb dreading every time he has to go to a car drive with me; he knows its a trip to the vet's.

So, we did what was requested and after that, there was the little thing called driving for an hour down to Frankfort to get the USDA-approved vet's signature on it. That really was the closest USDA vet we had. Kaleb is a very beloved dog! :) So, I dropped off Kaleb who was happy to be home safe, told Chuck to expect a carpet cleaning salesman and went off again. I did enjoy the drive, it would be my last one in my Old Lady. Feeling the wind in my hair... (well, not quite, it was too bleedin cold for that, but you get the idea).

Thanks to google, I found the vet's office pretty easily. I sat there in the tiny lobby for maybe 10 minutes or so, and they had my paperwork stamped and whatnot. They told me it made their job a lot easier and quicker when the local vet had faxed them the paperwork earlier. (Tip to those who read this for planning to take their own dog down the same path.) After that  I cruised down the highway back home to find out that the carpet cleaner was lost.

Anyway, he finally showed up, we got the house cleaned Thursday (I wasn't too happy with the work the cleaning crew did; I had to do some of it myself afterwards) and on Friday had the carpets in 2 bedrooms cleaned, as well as the upholstery on 2 couches. We had sold our bedroom set, and dining set to friends, who were going to pick it all up after the house sold. All of the other furniture was to go to charity.



Saturday was our last morning at our old home and the beginning of a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment