Monday, September 24, 2018

Final Musings

It has now been weeks since I've been back. I haven't changed my mind wanting to go back to Albania and starting my little Bed and Breakfast.

I want to thank Aneta, and all the people she has introduced me to, for helping me to work towards this dream. I am now so much wiser and more knowledgeable of what is needed and what needs to be considered.


Albania has unfortunately earned an unfair reputation that has still stuck. I could hardly find any traces of communism in the everyday life of Albanians, apart from the bunkers. Tirana might have some more remnants of the era. I can't say if the citizens were better off back in those days, there is quite a bit of poverty in Albania these days, as not much of the wealth is trickling down to the ordinary people.

Many youths are talking about moving to neighboring Greece to find better work and for bettering their lives. Most of the people working in the tourism industry in the summertime also head to Greece to work in the winter, if they don't have another job in Tirana waiting. The salaries in Albania are very low, and it's very difficult to get proper education or hospital services, and those who can afford it, go aboard for all this.

Some people are also worried about crime and drugs. I didn't see any of that during the time I was there. Well, unless you're talking about the extortionate prices they demand from tourists. The furgon rides, food and drinks in restaurants etc. Even during my quest for a plot of land, I was told the price per square meter was 120 euros for one particular lot, when in reality it wasn't worth more than 60 euros, if that. But apparently they have seen the prices asked in Spain and Italy, and feel like the same applies to Albania. 



This is actually one of the reasons a lot of the people I talked to, dislike this practice, and feel, rightfully so, that this is a deterrent for more tourists visiting Albania.  The short-sightedness of some people, wanting to get as much as they can today, will hurt them tomorrow. The tourism has already gone down from last year, whether it was due to the heatwave raging through Europe this summer, or the issue above, can't tell.

Albania is so rich in natural beauty and natural resources. So many resources that could be used to bring more wealth to Albania, but one thing that has carried from the communism days is corruption, which is still a big problem in Albania. Rights to these natural resources are sold to foreign corporations, resources drained and sent abroad, and money kept for the high-ups. The nature ruined for good. Greasing particular people's pockets also helps things moving along.



Religion was also one of the issues that I was warned about before going to Albania. Islam is the biggest religion in Albania, and this can be heard almost everywhere, with Calls for Prayer sang from the Minarets in almost all bigger cities in Albania. It was strange when you heard it the first time, but then you got used to it, and eventually it was an exotic charm related to Albania. However, at 5 a.m. the charm was sometimes difficult to find. You could sometimes see a woman in a hijab, but that's pretty much it. You can see the same almost anywhere else in the world.

Arjon told me about Albanians view about religion, which is basically 'mind your own business, and I'll mind mine. How about a game of dominoes?' It just doesn't factor into people's relationships with others. I find that very admirable, and that's how it should be. Majority of Albanians are Muslims, as said, but there is also a large number of Greek Orthodox people, as Greeks make up quite a big minority in Albania.

Another problem is also littering. Which isn't that different from any other developing country. Locals don't mind throwing their trash out of the car window, and a lot of the roads and beaches too are littered with all sorts of trash. Maybe providing more trash bins everywhere is a solution, and just education.

Someone might ask, with so many negatives, why would you want to go back? Because there are also so many positives. Most of the people are very nice and friendly, willing to help you out and treat you as a honorable guest to Albania. They are obviously proud of their country and its beauty. I would just say that I'm going in with my eyes open. I don't think Albania is a paradise, but then again, what is? It still has a lot of developing to do, but hopefully they will see tourism as a way of enriching even the ordinary people.

I love the scenery of Albania, the mountains, the coast, the small villages littered here and there, the laid back life in said villages. There is still so much I have to explore in Albania, so I'm far from done yet. Expect a part 2 of Albania sometime in the future! 😘

Oh, and should Aneta or Arjon have any corrections to make to what I've said, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment